News and Information
Updates regarding vehicle inspection variances, temporary decals and requesting voluntary surrender form
MnDOT has resumed in-person vehicle inspections, and as a result, temporary vehicle inspection variances and temporary decals are set to expire soon and will no longer be valid. See more details
Important changes to STS requirements
On August 1, 2020, additional requirements affecting Special Transportation Service providers (STS) went into effect. These include changes to record keeping, background studies, and actions MnDOT may take if carriers do not pay decal fees.
MnDOT has resumed vehicle inspections
We have resumed vehicle inspections on the west side of the MnDOT FIRST Building in Richfield, MN. For now, we will not be using our garage for inspections, and the building will be closed to the public.
MnDOT staff continue to follow the guidance of state and federal health officials to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. To protect the health of our customers and staff, anyone who needs their vehicle inspected must follow these guidelines:
- If you are sick or have symptoms of COVID-19, please reschedule your inspection.
- You must stay in the vehicle at all times during the inspection process. This includes waiting for the inspection.
- You must wear a face mask that covers your nose and mouth.
- The vehicle being inspected must be sanitized before bringing it for an inspection.
- Please listen to all directions given by the inspector for a fast, efficient inspection.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 651-366-3648.
Are You New to Vehicle Inspections?
Check out our PowerPoint presentation on The STS Vehicle Inspection Process: A Guide for New Drivers, and learn what to expect when your vehicle gets inspected.