Project Update 7/2/20
- The project start date has been pushed back to the end of July (tentatively) due to delays caused by COVID-19 for delivery of temporary signal electrical components
- Once construction begins, crews will install the temporary signals and then work will start on the 12th Ave S median and progress to the intersection legs
- Once 12th Ave S is done, work will move to the 13th St median, and then progress to the intersection legs
- Crews will work 6 days/week, 10-12 hours/day
- Portable changeable message signs will notify drivers of upcoming changes in traffic patterns
- Work on the City of Mt. Iron’s project on Mt. Iron Drive is expected to be mostly complete when the minor intersection legs are closed at either 12th Ave S or 13th St.
- Follow signs for local detours
About this project
This project will improve the signal systems at two intersections. The improvements will help lower crash rates and improve safety at these high crash-rate locations.
Summary of work
- The 13th Street intersection has had 61 crashes from 2006-2016 and the 12th Avenue West intersection has had 58 crashes from 2006-2015
- Install turn lanes
- The project will also improve accessibility