Construction begins May 4 for Hwy 57, Hwy 60 roundabout project in Wanamingo
WANAMINGO, Minn. – Motorists will encounter detours when the Hwy 57 and Hwy 60 roundabout project in Wanamingo begins construction May 4, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The Hwy 57 and Hwy 60 intersection will be closed during construction with the following detours in place:
- Hwy 60 detour: Eastbound through-traffic follows Goodhue County Road 1 south to Goodhue County Road 12 east to Goodhue County Road 10 east to Zumbrota where it connects with Hwy 52. Westbound is reverse.
- Hwy 57 detour: Southbound through-traffic follows Goodhue County Road 30 west to Goodhue County Road 1 to Goodhue County Road 12 east. Northbound route is reverse.
Besides the construction of a new roundabout, the $1.77 million project includes development of a path for bicyclists and pedestrians on the east side of Hwy 57 and installation of roadway lighting.
Mathiowetz Construction is the contractor for the project, which is scheduled to be complete in July.
Motorists can find more information on the plans and sign up for email updates at the MnDOT project website at mndot.gov/d6/projects/d6/projects/hwy57-hwy60-roundabout or join MnDOT’s SE Minnesota Facebook group at facebook.com/groups/MnDOTsoutheast.
MnDOT road work has been identified as a critical service in Gov. Tim Walz’s Stay at Home executive order. MnDOT is being as flexible as possible with schedules during this period of lower traffic volumes to keep projects moving forward and minimize the impact to motorists. Following guidance from state and federal health officials, and to prevent further spread of COVID-19, crews will maintain social distancing practices while working.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.