Interstate 90 motorists will be detoured overnight Tuesday, June 16-Thursday, June 18 for bridge demolition over the highway north of Stewartville.
The three-night detour is from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Crews will be removing the Hwy 63 northbound bridge over I-90.
On Monday, June 15, Hwy 63 traffic will be switched over in advance of the bridge demolition. Hwy 63 motorists who are northbound will be switched over to a single lane in the southbound lanes, traveling adjacent to southbound traffic, which will be traveling in the other single lane. This will occur south of the Rochester International Airport to the north side of Stewartville before vehicles return to their usual lanes. This Hwy 63 traffic configuration will remain through Oct. 30. Additional detours will be in place. A map is linked here.
During the I-90 overnight detour, westbound motorists will exit I-90 at Hwy 52 (Exit 218) north to Rochester, Hwy 63 south to I-90 where it rejoins the highway. Eastbound motorists will exit I-90 at High Forest (Exit 205) follow Olmsted County Road 6 east into Stewartville, then north on Hwy 63 to connect again with I-90. A map is linked here
Motorists using Hwy 30 west of Hwy 63 will encounter changes in access and traffic control at a county road intersection when the project begins construction April 20.
Two changes will take place for motorists who use Hwy 30:
- Stop sign changes at Hwy 30/ Olmsted County Road 8 – the intersection at Hwy 30 and Olmsted 8 will be changed. Motorists on Hwy 30 will need to stop at a stop sign before turning north or south onto Olmsted 8. Motorists on Olmsted 8 will not have a stop sign.
- Hwy 30 detour – the intersection of Hwy 30 west and Hwy 63 will be closed and rerouted. Hwy 63 motorists who want to access Hwy 30 west of Hwy 63 will exit at Olmsted County Road 16, (the interchange that serves Rochester International Airport), travel west to Olmsted 8 south to Hwy 30 west.
Meanwhile, motorists on Hwy 63 can expect lane closures between Rochester International Airport and Stewartville beginning April 20.
About this project
Summary of work
MnDOT is scheduled to begin construction at the Interstate-90 and Hwy 63 interchange just north of Stewartville spring of 2020. The 2-year project will address several existing conditions including: intersection safety issues, congestion issues, functionally obsolete bridges, inadequate deceleration, acceleration and merge lanes, and sight issues.
- Close Hwy 30 access to Hwy 63 at current location, the new Hwy 30 will follow Olmsted County Rd 8 north to Olmsted County Rd 16 east then to Hwy 63 south
- Construct extension of 90th St. SE to the east then north to connect to 85th St. SE
- Construct new westbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the north
- Construct new loop ramp for westbound I-90 to southbound Hwy 63
- Construct new ramp for westbound I-90 to northbound Hwy 63
- Replace Hwy 63 bridges, widened for 3 lanes and shoulders, extended acceleration and merge lane for northbound Hwy 63
- Lengthen deceleration lane for eastbound I-90 exit to northbound Hwy 63
- Construct new eastbound I-90 entrance ramp further to the south
- Close median south of interchange