Hwy 22 Victory Drive Memorial meeting at Mankato Armory Jan. 31
Survey available on-line
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation is encouraging Blue Earth County residents to attend an open house on the future of the Highway 22 Victory Drive Memorial from Mankato to Mapleton at the Mankato Armory, 100 Martin Luther King Drive from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, January 31.
Many of the trees lining the corridor were planted as a memorial to area veterans and will need to be removed during highway construction over the next two years. MnDOT intends to reestablish the memorial through plantings and seeks public input.
If the public is unable to attend the open house, they can go online mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy22mapleton/victorydrive.html and view the concepts and take a survey until Feb. 17.
The memorial project scheduled for 2019 (after Highway 22 construction is complete) and the three concepts under consideration:
- Soldier's formation - low-grow native grass and trees with season colors and textures, following a linear pattern
- Unbroken - low-grow native grass closest to the highway in contrast with tall native flowers and grasses in a flowing/meandering pattern to represent an unbroken spirit weaving throughout the corridor; and trees with seasonal colors and textures, following the meandering pattern
- Healing landscape - native flowers and grasses throughout the corridor with varying color drifts that change by season and location and a minimal amount of new trees
The concepts also include monuments or hardscape ideas that are not currently funded.
Victory Drive trees were planted by the Mankato Garden Club with the help of the Mapleton American Legion and other community groups when the highway was reconstructed in 1951. Local Mapleton residents and Maple River students have also been instrumental in replanting in past years. Many of these trees will be removed because they are too close to the highway for safety, are affected by the construction activities or are dead or dying.
The schedule for the projects is as follows:
- 2017-18 – Reconstruct Highway 22 from Mapleton to Blue Earth County Road 15, add left turn lanes at key intersections, replace Big Cobb River Bridge at Beauford. (Detours required)
- 2018 – Construct roundabout at Highway 22 and Blue Earth County Road 90 and resurface from CR 15 to CR 90. (Same detour)
- 2019 – Replace trees removed in 2017 with landscaping (to be determined) to beautify Victory Drive and honor Veterans, landscape Highway 22/CR 90 roundabout
A Highway 22 construction project website can be found at mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy22mapleton .
To request an ASL or foreign language interpreter or other reasonable accommodation, call Janet Miller at 651-366-4720 or 1-800-657-3774 (Greater Minnesota); 711 or 1-800-627-3529 (Minnesota Relay). Individuals may also send an e-mail to email@example.com.