Hwy 4 construction in St. James starts April 30 with detour
MANKATO, Minn. — Weather permitting, construction will begin on Hwy 4 in St. James on Monday, April 30, and motorists will be detoured around the project.
Hwy 4 will be closed from 8th Avenue North to 11th Avenue North, and motorists will be detoured using Watonwan County Road 56 (1st Avenue South) and County Road 55 until October. Motorists are encouraged to drive with caution through the work zone and watch for workers, equipment and traffic control devices.
The Hwy 4 project elements include:
- Reconstruct Hwy 4 from approximately 200 feet south of 10th Avenue South to 11th Avenue North
- Realign 7th Avenue South to address the skew and increase safety
- Construct mini-roundabouts at the two existing signals on 1st Avenue
- Provide back-in diagonal parking downtown
- Replace existing sidewalk and install new sidewalk
- Bring all pedestrian accommodations up to Americans with Disability Act (ADA) standards
- Upgrade city utility infrastructure and storm sewer throughout the corridor
- Upgrade lighting standards and fixtures
- Improve downtown aesthetics
Construction work will be substantially complete at the end of the 2018 construction season, with some cleanup work scheduled in 2019. S.M. Hentges of Jordan, MN, was awarded the contract with a bid of $15,700,000.
For more information on the project as well as a detour map, visit mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy4stjames.
For updated road condition information, call 511 or visit 511mn.org