Highway 99 Minnesota River Bridge at St. Peter closed - Highway 4 north of St. James open
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation closed Highway 99 Minnesota River Bridge at St. Peter last night (March 20) due to flooding on the Minnesota River. Highway 99 motorists are being detoured to Le Sueur County Roads 21, 18 (Shanaska Creek Road) and Highway 22.
Highway 4 north of St. James opened this morning (March 21) as the flooding at the bridge has receded enough to ensure that the bridge is safe for motorists.
Highways that remain closed:
- Highway 99 Minnesota River Bridge at St. Peter (closed March 20)
- Highway 93 between Highway 169 and Le Sueur (closed March 20)
- Highway 19 east of Henderson (closed March 19)
- Highway 93 south of Henderson (closed March 16)
- Highway 4 north of St. James (closed March 17 – opened March 21)
- Highway 30 east of Mapleton (closed March 16 – open March 20)
When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties will apply.