About this project
Summary of MnDOT work
- Reconstruct Hwy 15 through downtown Hutchinson
- Resurface Hwy 15 from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115 / Airport Road
- Add a northbound left-turn lane at Linden Ave
- Update pedestrian crossings along project areas to make them accessible for everyone
Summary of City of Hutchinson work
- Replace storm sewer, water, and sanitary sewer along the project area
- Hwy 15 between 2nd Ave N and 5th Ave S is closed for the duration of the project.
- Detour for through traffic (map above) is in effect.
- Travelers not stopping in the downtown area must use the detour.
- Signs will help direct visitors to the downtown area.
- Find information about getting to downtown homes and businesses (local traffic) under the Project updates section below.
- During the repaving project (orange line on the map), expect temporary lane, shoulder, sidewalk, and side street closures from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115.
Project and traffic updates
June 5, 2020
- Continued installing sanitary sewer and water main from 1st Ave S to 2nd Ave S.
- Poured sidewalk from 2nd Ave N to Washington Ave, however, ramps at the corners of the intersection on this stretch still need to be poured.
- Removing the temporary pavement at the Hwy 15 and 2nd Ave N intersection to prepare for concrete paving.
- Paving concrete from 2nd Ave N to Washington Ave on Monday, June 8, weather permitting.
- Continuing to work on utility services between 1st Ave S and 2nd Ave S.
- So far, work has centered on the reconstruction part of the project. Next week, we will begin work on the resurfacing part of the project as well. That area extends from the roundabout at CR 115/Airport Rd to 5th Ave S. We will start with sidewalk and pedestrian crossing improvements on the west side of Hwy 15 beginning at Milwaukee Ave and work south. During this time, expect temporary shoulder closure, sidewalk closure, and side street closures.
Stage 3 - Began the week of May 18
This area will be closed to traffic until the end of August. Dates subject to change.
During Stage 3
- Work takes place at the intersections of Hwy 15 with 1st Ave S, 2nd Ave S.
- Area is closed to all vehicles from all directions.
- Crosswalks in the work zone are closed to pedestrians.
- Local traffic only in areas south of 3rd Ave S.
- Sidewalks to businesses will remain open as long as possible; use rear/side entrances when posted.
- Park on the streets and in the parking lots on the back side of Hwy 15/Main St businesses.
- People can use Franklin and Adams Streets to get to homes and businesses.
- People can cross Hwy 15 at Washington Ave and 5th Ave S.