Current traffic impacts
- The bridge is closed to pedestrian and motor traffic.
- Detour route is in effect - the detour has been moved to state Hwy 119 and US 59/Hwy 7 (to/from Appleton) and will remain in place for the duration of the project.
- Access to the DNR boat landing, campground and fishing pier will remain open and be available from the east side of the project only.
Rendering of new Milan Bridge
- November 5, 2019:
- The contractor has advised MnDOT that they will not complete the project as scheduled in 2019
- When weather is favorable, work will continue on the east abutment and retaining walls on both sides of the bridge until mid-December
- The slope will be stabilized and sheeting will stay in place over the winter
- The project will be suspended until March 16, 2020, when the contractor is expected to set beams and prepare the deck for pouring concrete on April 15, 2020
- Riprap work and grading will start up in April 2020
Summary of work
- Replace bridge on Hwy 40 (known as Milan Bridge) over Lac qui Parle Lake
- Update pedestrian access to meet current ADA standards
- Incorporate historical elements into the new bridge through the use of iron railing on both sides
- Maintain fishing access and recreational area
- Handplace stonework to closely match the original construction done by the WPA in 1939
- Robert R. Schroeder Construction Co., Glenwood MN