The ramp from southbound I-35E to eastbound I-94 and southbound Hwy 52 Lafayette Bridge is open.
The ramp from Plato Boulevard to northbound Highway 52 Lafayette Freeway is open.
The bicycle/pedestrian trail on the northbound Hwy 52 Lafayette Bridge is open.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Nov. 30, 2015
Ramp from northbound Hwy 52 to eastbound I-94 is closed and detoured for final cleanup.
- Eastbound East 7th Street ramp to westbound I-94 is permanently closed.
- 5th Street: Closed east of Johns Street and no longer exists as a street.
- 4th Street: Closed to vehicles. Bicyclists have access to Bruce Vento trail by way of 4th Street.
- Kittson Street north of 7th street no longer exists. It will be the new northbound Hwy 52 to 7th Street Exit.
- Kittson Street south of the Downtowner
and Holiday Station no longer exists.
About this project
When completed, the two new Lafayette Bridges (northbound and southbound) will provide two through-lanes and an auxiliary lane in each direction for entering and exiting traffic. The project also includes the modification and realignment of the Hwy 52 bridges over I-94. When completed, the new northbound Lafayette Bridge will include a pedestrian and bicycle crossing over the Mississippi River.
Re-decking of the Hwy 52 bridges over Plato Boulevard and Eaton Street south of the Mississippi River was completed in the fall of 2011, along with repairs and resurfacing of the Highway 52 bridges crossing Concord Street.
Summary of work
- The northbound Hwy 52 Lafayette Bridge was constructed 2011-2013.
- Traffic is switched to two lanes in each direction on the new northbound Hwy 52 Lafayette Bridge.
- The existing Lafayette Bridge will be demolished, and the new southbound Hwy 52 Bridge will be constructed in 2014-2015.
- Motorists will experience ramp closures during construction but Hwy 52 will remain open for the full construction period.