FHWA has laid out a general schedule for implementation of MAP-21 performance management with a staggered approach based on the maturity level of the performance measure areas.
A maturity level is one of three groups:
- Status I recommended measures are complete and its elements are in place to issue Notice of Proposed Rule Making,
- Status II measures have a recommended measure but additional work is needed to develop supporting elements needed for NPRM, and
- Status III measures indicate that a measure is still being considered.
One effective date for all measures will be approximately spring of 2015.
MnDOT is contributing to the rulemaking process in a number of ways:
- Participation in the National online dialogue on MAP-21 Transportation Performance Measures in September 2012
- Participation in the Pre-NPRM targeted listening sessions
- Listening session on congestion and NHS performance in October 2012
- Listening session on target setting in January 2013
- Authored AASHTO recommendations through Standing Committee on Performance Measures committee work
There will be more opportunity for MnDOT and others to comment on actual proposed measures once an actual NPRM is issued.