Hwy 5 bridge deck reconstruction in St. Paul, Fort Snelling begins April 4
Hwy 5 lane and ramp closures set for April 4 – November 2016
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists traveling on Highway 5/West Seventh Street between St. Paul and Fort Snelling will encounter lane and ramp closures beginning April 4 through November 2016, weather permitting.
Eastbound and westbound Highway 5 will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Both directions of traffic will use the eastbound lanes of Highway 5 while crews begin reconstructing the westbound Highway 5 bridge deck over the Mississippi River.
Additional closures include:
- Mississippi River Boulevard/Shepard Road ramp to westbound Highway 5
- Southbound Edgcumbe Road ramp to westbound Highway 5
- Westbound Highway 55 ramp to eastbound Highway 5
- Ramps from westbound Highway 5 to eastbound and westbound Highway 55
The work is part of a two-year construction project on Highway 5 that includes:
- Reconstructing the Highway 5 bridge deck.
- Repairing both Mississippi River Boulevard/Shepard Road bridge decks over Highway 5.
- Repairing the Edgcumbe Road bridge deck over Highway 5.
- Repairing pavement on Highway 5 between the Mississippi River and Munster Avenue.
The work also will require a 60-day closure of westbound Shepard Road/Mississippi Boulevard at Highway 5 and two weekend closures of Highway 5 between Highway 55 and Davern Street.
In addition, the path on the westbound side of the Highway 5 bridge will close for the duration of the project. Bicyclists and pedestrians will be detoured around the closure via Ford Parkway or Interstate 35E.
Work is scheduled for completion in November 2016, weather permitting. The project will increase the lifespan of the bridges and concrete pavement on Highway 5.
For more information or to sign up for email project updates, visit www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy5/. For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.
# # #