I-494 in western Twin Cities metro closes weekend of April 22-25
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists intending to access Interstate 494 from I-694/94 to I-394 in the western Twin Cities metro area will encounter a detour beginning Friday, April 22 at 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. Monday, April 25.
I-494 will be closing between I-394 in Minnetonka and I-694/94 in Maple Grove while crews move both directions of I-494 traffic to the southbound lanes.
Motorists will be detoured around the closure via I-694, Highway 169 and I-394.
The closure is needed so crews can safely switch all I-494 traffic to the southbound lanes. There will be two lanes of traffic open in each direction on the southbound lanes of I-494 while crews reconstruct northbound I-494.
Several additional closures associated with the work on I-494 are set to begin as early as Friday, April 22:
April 22 at 9 a.m. through mid-June
- East Fish Lake Road between Wedgewood Road and Sycamore Lane will be closed.
April 22 at 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. April 25
- Northbound I-494 to County Road 6 will be closed.
April 22 at 10 p.m. through mid-May
- County Road 6 to northbound I-494 will be closed.
April 25 by 5 a.m. through late May
- Schmidt Lake Road between Cheshire Lane and Underwood Lane will be closed.
April 25 through November 2016
- Westbound I-394 to northbound I-494
- Northbound I-494 to westbound I-394/Highway 12
- Carlson Parkway to southbound I-494
- Carlson Parkway to northbound I-494
- Northbound I-494 to Carlson Parkway
- Westbound I-394 to southbound I-494
Several other closures will occur this year as part of the project. A full list of closures and detours is available on the project website: mndot.gov/metro/projects/i494plymouth/.
Work this year is part of a two-year construction project on I-494 that includes:
- Repairing pavement on northbound I-494 between I-394 and I-694/94.
- Adding a third lane on northbound I-494 between Highway 55 and I-94/694.
- Building noise walls along the interstate.
- Replacing I-494 bridges over County Road 47 and Schmidt Lake Road
- Reconstructing the East Fish Lake Road bridge deck over I-494.
- Repairing several I-494 ramps
For more information about the project or to sign up for e-mail project updates, visit the project website at mndot.gov/metro/projects/i494plymouth/.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.
To learn more about funding Minnesota’s transportation system, visit Get Connected at www.dot.state.mn.us/getconnected.
# # #
To learn more about funding Minnesota’s transportation system, visit Get Connected at www.dot.state.mn.us/getconnected