Work continues on three I-35W bridges in northeast Minneapolis
Directional closures on Johnson Street, Broadway Street switch sides beginning July 1
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists traveling on three Interstate 35W bridges in northeast Minneapolis will encounter new directional closures beginning July 1, weather permitting.
Crews will switch the directional closure from one side of each bridge to the other side.
Northbound Johnson Street between Broadway Street and 14th Avenue will close July 1 through mid-August.
- Currently, southbound Johnson Street is closed. Southbound Johnson Street will reopen to one lane prior to the closing of northbound Johnson Street.
- Northbound motorists will be detoured around the closure via westbound Broadway Street, northbound Central Avenue and eastbound Lowry Avenue.
Eastbound Broadway Street between Buchanan Street and Johnson Street will close July 1 through mid-August.
- Currently, westbound Broadway Street between Johnson Street and Lincoln Street is closed. Westbound Broadway Street will reopen prior to the closing of eastbound Broadway Street.
- Eastbound motorists will be detoured around the closure via southbound Central Avenue, eastbound East Hennepin Avenue and northbound Johnson Street.
East Hennepin Avenue
Westbound East Hennepin Avenue at Johnson Street will close July 6 through mid- August.
- Currently, eastbound East Hennepin Avenue between 10th Avenue and Johnson Street is closed. Both directions will be open from July 1 through July 5.
- Westbound motorists will be detoured around the closure via northbound Johnson St., westbound Broadway Street and southbound Central Avenue.
Motorists also can expect off-peak ramp and lane closures on I-35W from 8th Street SE to New Brighton Boulevard.
This project will extend the lifespan of the four bridges and improve accessibility for pedestrians when competed.
For more information, please visit www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i35wnemplsbridges/.
# # #
To learn more about funding Minnesota’s transportation system, visit Get Connected at www.dot.state.mn.us/getconnected.