Project work is dependent on the weather and will be rescheduled in the case of inclement weather.
August 1, 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. August 4
Southbound I-35E between Hwy 36 and I-94 will be closed.
Lane and ramp closures
August 1, late evening through 5 a.m., August 4
Beginning at 9 p.m. August 1, the following ramps will close. These ramps are in addition to the ramps that are already closed until mid-October:
- Southbound I-35E exit ramp to Roselawn Avenue
- Southbound I-35E exit ramp to Larpenteur Avenue
- Wheelock Parkway entrance ramp to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E exit and entrance ramps at Maryland Avenue
- Southbound I-35E exit ramp to Pennsylvania Avenue
Short-term lane closures may also occur on northbound I-35E over the weekend; information will be sent if the lane restrictions are needed. View map of weekend closures and detours (PDF, 195 KB, 1 page)
The ramp from westbound I-94 to northbound I-35E (including access to that ramp from Broadway Street) is closed for approximately four weeks for construction of the new northbound I-35E lanes at I-94. Recommended alternate routes include:
- Westbound I-94 (west of I-694): Northbound Hwy 280 to northbound I-35W to eastbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Westbound I-94 (east of I-694): Northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound Hwy 52: Use eastbound I-494 or I-94 to northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound Hwy 61: Use eastbound I-94 to northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
View map of all project ramp closures (PDF, 234 KB, 1 page)
Northbound and southbound I-35E is two lanes in each direction between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue.
Ramps closed until late October 2014 include:
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to southbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue
- Roselawn Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to westbound Highway 36
- Northbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Little Canada Road
Individual detour maps can be viewed by clicking the closure on the 2014 Long-Term Restrictions map.
- Cayuga Street between Westminster Street and Terrace Court is open (the opening of this segment of Cayuga Street provides a connection between Phalen Boulevard and northbound I-35E)
- The temporary ramp from northbound I-35E to Cayuga Street can now be used by the general public (was once just for Metro Transit)
- Cayuga Street is reduced to a single lane in each direction between I-35E and Westminster Street for remaining sidewalk and bridge work.
Phalen Boulevard and Pennsylvania Avenue
- Both directions of Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue between approximately L’Orient Street and just east of Mississippi Street are reduced to a single lane to facilitate work on the new northbound I-35E bridge spanning Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue. Lane shifts and restrictions in this location will remain in place throughout late 2015.
- Northbound ramps to/from Phalen Boulevard are permanently closed