Project work is dependent on the weather and will be rescheduled in the case of inclement weather.
Aug. 21, 7 a.m. through 7 p.m.
County Road B will close at I-35E to allow crews to place bridge beams above the roadways.
Detour: Use Rice Street, Hwy 36 and Edgerton Street. Business and resident access on the local roadways will be maintained.
View detour map (PDF, 122 KB,1 page)
Beginning Aug. 22
Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue will close at I-35E for approximately two weeks. A posted detour will direct motorists to use Jackson Street, University Avenue and Olive Street to get around the closure.
View detour map (PDF, 165 KB, 1 page)
The closure will allow crews to lower a portion of Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue, in order to avoid height restrictions during construction of the new I-35E bridges spanning the roadway.
Week of Aug. 25
Roselawn Avenue will close at I-35E for a day.
Lane and ramp closures
The ramp from eastbound I-694 to southbound I-35E is anticipated to be closed until Sept. 18. This closure is for a project to repair an eroded ditch and is separate from the MnPASS project. Read more about this construction work
The ramp from westbound I-94 to northbound I-35E (including access to that ramp from Broadway Street) is closed for approximately four weeks for construction of the new northbound I-35E lanes at I-94. Recommended alternate routes include:
- Westbound I-94 (west of I-694): Northbound Hwy 280 to northbound I-35W to eastbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Westbound I-94 (east of I-694): Northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound Hwy 52: Use eastbound I-494 or I-94 to northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound Hwy 61: Use eastbound I-94 to northbound I-694 to northbound I-35E
View map of all project ramp closures (PDF, 234 KB, 1 page)
Northbound and southbound I-35E is two lanes in each direction between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue.
Ramps closed until late October 2014 include:
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to southbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue
- Roselawn Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to westbound Highway 36
- Northbound I-35E to eastbound Highway 36
- Westbound and eastbound Highway 36 to northbound I-35E
- Northbound I-35E to Little Canada Road
Individual detour maps can be viewed by clicking the closure on the 2014 Long-Term Restrictions map.
- Cayuga Street between Westminster Street and Terrace Court is open (the opening of this segment of Cayuga Street provides a connection between Phalen Boulevard and northbound I-35E)
- The temporary ramp from northbound I-35E to Cayuga Street can now be used by the general public (was once just for Metro Transit)
- Cayuga Street is reduced to a single lane in each direction between I-35E and Westminster Street for remaining sidewalk and bridge work.
Phalen Boulevard and Pennsylvania Avenue
- Both directions of Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue between approximately L’Orient Street and just east of Mississippi Street are reduced to a single lane to facilitate work on the new northbound I-35E bridge spanning Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue. Lane shifts and restrictions in this location will remain in place throughout late 2015.
- Northbound ramps to/from Phalen Boulevard are permanently closed