Major construction complete
Major construction activities between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue have been completed. Some minor site restoration activities and clean-up will continue through fall 2015 and spring 2016.
MnDOT is adding new MnPASS Express Lanes on both directions of I-35E between Cayuga Street and Little Canada Road. This will be the first MnPASS investment in the East Metro area and an essential link for people commuting between downtown St. Paul and the suburbs to the north. The MnPASS project will also include:
- Long-term pavement improvements between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue
- Replacing the Arlington, Wheelock and Larpenteur bridges
- Replacing the I-35E bridge spanning Roselawn Avenue, County Road B and Hwy 36
MnDOT is extending the MnPASS Express Lanes on I-35E from Little Canada Road to County Road J. Read more about the I-35E MnPASS Extension Study.
This segment of I-35E also is part of the Better Roads program, which aims to significantly improve state highway pavement condition, including MnPASS expansion and shoulder hardening for transit. Better Roads also increases safety and ADA accessibility while improving infrastructure such as drainage facilities and exploring innovative engineering and delivery techniques in order to get the most for the
- MnPASS Express Lanes offer faster, reliable travel options and can move 50 percent more people than regular lanes during congested rush hour conditions. During non-peak times the lanes are free and open to all commuters.
- Transit riders and car poolers (two or more people) get an advantage during rush hours because they can use the congestion-free MnPASS lanes free of charge
- Solo motorists with a MnPASS transponder can choose to use the lanes during rush hours by paying a fee that averages about $1.50
- Lanes adjacent to the MnPASS lanes remain general purpose lanes, open and free to all vehicles and less congested because of MnPASS
- $98 million