About this project
In 2021 and 2022, MnDOT, in conjunction with Hennepin County, will construct three projects aimed at improving safety and reducing crashes along Hwy 12.
On Hwy 12 from Co. Rd. 6 to Baker Park Rd. in Maple Plain, MnDOT will reconstruct Hwy 12 to install a center concrete barrier. This project will eliminate head-on crashes within this section of Hwy 12. MnDOT will construct this project in 2021.
At Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 90 in Independence, MnDOT will construct a roundabout. The current intersection has challenging sight lines for entering cars, which contributes to the higher-than-average crash rate. The roundabout will greatly reduce severe crashes and make it easier for traffic to turn onto and from Co. Rd. 90. MnDOT will construct this project in 2021. The improvements include:
- A reconfigured Co. Rd. 90 to better connect the lanes north and south of Hwy 12
- Access for walkers and bicyclists crossing Hwy 12
- Drainage ponds to protect the environment
- Improved sightlines for motorists entering Hwy 12
- 15-foot-wide raised concrete median
- Wider road
- Westbound roundabout designed to accommodate expansion
At Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 92 in Independence, Hennepin County will lead a project in partnership with MnDOT to address the safety issues seen at this location. The project will realign Co. Rd. 92 with a bridge over Hwy 12 and the railroad tracks and construct a roundabout on Hwy 12 for traffic entering and exiting Hwy 12 from Co. Rd 92. Hennepin County will construct this project starting in 2021 and continuing into 2022.
Summary of work
- Center concrete barrier on Hwy 12 between Co. Rd. 6 and Baker Park Rd.
- Roundabout at Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 90
- Roundabout and bridge at Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 92
- Reduced crashes and improved safety within corridor