About this project
Beginning in summer 2021, we will repair and resurface I-94 between Western Ave. and Mounds Blvd. and I-35E between I-94 north and University Ave. In addition, we will work on the following ramp bridges:
- East 12th St. to WB I-94 (over WB I-94)
- East 12th St. to SB I-35E (over WB I-94)
- EB I-94 to E 6th St.
In addition, we will resurface the Robert St. bridge over I-35E. The project will address water seepage issues along the westbound side of I-94 through the project area, build new storm water drainage ponds and replace railing on some bridges. Freeway lighting and signs may be replaced if needed.
Construction will progress from west to east and be split into three stages, each with two sub-stages for work on inner and outer lanes. Construction will reduce capacity to two lanes in each direction and require long-term closures of ramps into and out of downtown St. Paul. The construction schedule is subject to change.
- Stage 1 – Western Ave. to Marion St.: Mid-summer through fall 2021
- Stage 2 – Marion St. to I-35E.: Spring through mid-summer 2022
- Stage 3 – I-35E to Mounds Blvd.: Mid-summer through fall 2022
Summary of work
- Repair and resurface I-94 and I-35E
- Resurface ramps and frontage roads along I-94
- Repair drainage and upgrade storm sewers
- Other bridge rehabilitation work
- Repair sidewalks and upgrade pedestrian sidewalks and approaches to Americans with Disability Act (ADA) standards