Twin Ports Interchange project traffic impacts April 1 – April 19
DULUTH, Minn. — Motorists travelling in and around the Twin Ports Interchange will experience closures and traffic shifts April 1 through April 19 in Duluth.
Thursday, April 1
- Southbound I-35 just north of the tunnel near 14th Avenue East will undergo temporary lane closures between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. as crews Install PPCB along the lane edge lines. This work is needed as crews prepare for installation of an overhead warning system for the Twin Ports Interchange project. The right lane will close first, followed by the left lane as needed.
- Southbound I-35 will close near 27th Avenue West from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. This closure is required to relocate currently placed concrete barrier for a southbound traffic change that will begin Monday, April 5.
Friday, April 2
- Right lane closures will occur on southbound I-35 just north of the tunnel near 14th Avenue East for installation of the overhead warning sign.
- From 9 p.m. Friday evening to 4 a.m. Saturday morning, both left and right lanes of southbound I-35 will be closed. Traffic will be detoured at 26th Avenue East to London Road, to Superior Street, to Lake Avenue during the closure.
Monday, April 5
- The intersection of Piedmont Avenue and West 1st Street will close through May.
- Southbound I-35 traffic will be in single lane configuration on the existing northbound side from Garfield Avenue to 27th Avenue West. This configuration will be in place into October.
- The ramp from westbound I-535 to southbound I-35 will close until fall of 2023.
- The ramp from westbound I-535 to northbound I-35 will close for inspection between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Detours will be in place.
Monday, April 12
- First Street (21st Street West to 22nd Street West), and 21st Street West (Superior Street alley to 1st Street) will close for utility construction.
Monday, April 19
- The ramp from southbound I-35 to eastbound I-535 will close for inspection between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Detours will be in place. This closure was originally planned for April 5 and has been rescheduled.
Motorists are encouraged to check 511mn.org before traveling for information on road conditions, closures and detour routes. To learn more about the Twin Ports Interchange project visit mndot.gov/d1/projects/twin-ports-interchange, or call the Twin Ports Interchange Hotline at 218-343-3748.