Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Exempt Intrastate Commodities Carriers

When am I exempt from needing authority to operate?

You are exempt when...

  • You are transporting students to or from school (or school activities) in a school bus inspected and certified under section 169.451
  • You are transporting children or parents to or from a Head Start facility or Head Start activity in a Head Start bus inspected and certified under section 169.451:
  • You are transporting solid waste, as defined in section 116.06, subdivision 22, including recyclable materials and waste tires, except that the term "hazardous waste" has the meaning given it in section 221.011, subdivision 31;
  • You are driving a commuter van as defined in section 221.011, subdivision 27;
  • You are driving an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in section 169.01, subdivision 5, including ambulances; and tow trucks equipped with proper and legal warning devices when picking up and transporting:
    • disabled or wrecked motor vehicles
    • vehicles towed or transported under a towing order issued by a public employee authorized to issue a towing order;
  • You are transporting grain samples under prescribed conditions;
  • You are delivering agricultural lime;
  • You are transporting dirt and sod within an area having a 50-mile radius from the home post office of the person performing the transportation;
  • You are transporting sand, gravel, bituminous asphalt mix, concrete ready mix, concrete blocks or tile and the mortar mix to be used with the concrete blocks or tile, or crushed rock to or from the point of loading or a place of gathering within an area having a 50-mile radius from that person's home post office or a 50-mile radius from the site of construction or maintenance of public roads and streets;
  • You are transporting pulpwood, cordwood, mining timber, poles, posts, decorator evergreens, wood chips, sawdust, shavings, and bark from the place where the products are produced to the point where they are to be used or shipped;
  • You are transporting fresh vegetables from farms to canneries or viner stations, from viner stations to canneries, or from canneries to canneries during the harvesting, canning, or packing season, or transporting sugar beets, wild rice, or rutabagas from the field of production to the first place of delivery or unloading, including a processing plant, warehouse, or railroad siding;
  • You are transporting unprocessed dairy products in bulk within an area having a 100-mile radius from the home post office of the person providing the transportation;
  • You are transporting agricultural, horticultural, dairy, livestock, or other farm products within an area having a 100-mile radius from the person's home post office and the carrier may transport other commodities within the 100-mile radius if the destination of each haul is a farm;
  • You are transporting newspapers, as defined in section 331A.01, subdivision 5, telephone books, handbills, circulars, or pamphlets in a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less; and
  • You are transporting potatoes from the field of production, or storage site owned or otherwise controlled by the producer, to the first place of processing.