New, safer Hwy 169 accesses open in Mille Lacs County, near Milaca
BAXTER, Minn. – MnDOT is excited to announce that motorists who travel on Highway 169 near Milaca can now access three new reduced conflict intersections (RCIs), also known as J-turns or R-cuts, at:
- Highway 169 and Mille Lacs County Road 11 north of Milaca
- Highway 169 and County Road 12 south of Pease/Milaca
- Highway 169 and County Road 13 at Long Siding, south of Milaca
RCIs are intersections that decrease fatalities and injuries caused by broadside crashes on four-lane divided highways. Drivers always make a right turn, followed by a U-turn. They don’t need to wait for a gap in both directions to cross. This reduces potential conflict points and increases motorist safety.
To learn more about this 2020 construction project, that began May 1, visit www.mndot.gov/d3/projects/rci/h169.
Current or future RCI projects in central Minnesota, include:
- Highway 65 and Cajima Street, Isanti; City of Isanti opened July 2020
- Highway 23 and Benton County Road 8, St. Cloud; construct fall 2020
- Highway 371 at Crow Wing County Road 125, County Road 126 and Birchdale Road, Brainerd; construct 2022
Road work continues to be a critical service. MnDOT is committed to protecting the health, safety and well-being of its employees, contractors and all Minnesotans. Crews continue to follow the guidance of state and federal health officials to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
# # #