Hwy 40 culvert replacement project begins March 29
WILLMAR, Minn. – The Highway 40 culvert replacement project begins Monday, March 29, in Kandiyohi and Chippewa counties. The project includes the replacement of two metal culverts and an old timber bridge with three box culverts to improve drainage and preserve the roadway.
The project will take place in two stages and require two separate detours for through traffic. The detours will not be active at the same time (see project map below).
During Stage 1
- Replace culvert west of Kandiyohi CR 7
- Replace old timber bridge west of Chippewa CR 3
- Detour in place March 29 to May 4
- Detour follows Hwy 29, Swift CR 6, Hwy 12, Kandiyohi CR 7
During Stage 2
- Replace culvert east of Hwy 29
- Detour in place May 5 to May 21
- Detour follows Hwy 29, Chippewa CR 13, Chippewa CR 6
The project is estimated to cost $1.3 million and be complete by July 2. The contractor is Riley Brothers Construction of Morris, Minn. Please note that all dates are weather permitting, could change due to unforeseeable circumstances, and all traffic impacts may not be known at this time.
For more information, and to sign up for project updates, please visit mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy40.
Watch for orange cones
Travelers may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, heavy equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT asks drivers to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate with care and caution
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times