Hwy 61 Grand Portage construction to resume May 17
DULUTH, Minn. – Construction is expected to resume for year two of the Hwy 61 in Grand Portage project on May 17. This year’s work will consist of the construction of Hollow Rock Creek bridge, reclaimed and resurfaced pavement from the Reservation River to just prior to Mount Josephine Wayside Rest, intersection improvements, pedestrian improvements, and new lighting.
Traffic through the project limits should expect temporary lane and shoulder closures, flagger/pilot car operations, and a single lane bypass at Hollow Rock Creek with temporary signal. There will also be temporary closures of Wayswaugoing, Grand Portage, and Hovland pulloffs to allow for pavement resurfacing. Motorists can expect travel on reclaimed surfaces. A local detour at Stevens Road will be needed in late June.
For more information and for up to date information, please visit the project website: https://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/hwy61grandportage/index.html
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.