Short-term traffic delays expected June 7-9 in Red Wing for MnDOT bridge inspections
RED WING, Minn. — Motorists in Red Wing should be alert for lane closures and possible traffic delays during daytime hours as the Minnesota Department of Transportation begins routine inspections June 7-9.
The schedule for inspections is:
- June 7: Hwy 63 Eisenhower Bridge of Valor will have northbound lane closures and flaggers stopping traffic. The walkway will also be closed during this time.
- June 8: Hwy 61 Withers Harbor bridge will have right lane closures in each direction.
- June 9: Hwy 61 CP Rail bridge south of Red Wing will have lane closures and flaggers stopping traffic.
The inspections evaluate safety and monitor the effects of traffic, weather and other elements on the structure.
Inspectors will use a snooper truck to evaluate the bridges. A snooper truck is a specialty vehicle that has a multi-jointed arm with a basket attached at the end to hold the bridge inspectors. The equipment allows the inspection team to maneuver under the bridge, while the truck is parked on the bridge deck.
MnDOT bridge inspectors will evaluate approximately 404 structures for MnDOT and 520 bridges for cities and counties in southeast Minnesota in 2021 as part of their routine inspection schedule to ensure the safety and longevity of the state’s bridges.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Find up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions at 511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones