Final detour lifted today on Highway 40 culvert replacement project
Project near completion
WILLMAR, Minn. — The final detour will be removed by the end of today on the Highway 40 culvert replacement project in Kandiyohi and Chippewa counties. The project includes the replacement of two metal culverts and an old timber bridge with concrete box culverts to improve drainage and preserve the roadway.
New box culverts have been installed at these locations:
- Culvert west of Kandiyohi CR 7
- Old timber bridge west of Chippewa CR 3
- Culvert east of Hwy 29
The roadway has been paved, and crews are completing shouldering and erosion control work.
In approximately two weeks, crews will install striping and rumble strips under traffic. The project is expected to be completed by the end of June.
For more information about the project, please visit mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy40.
Watch for orange cones
MnDOT asks drivers to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times