Hwy 61 Grand Marais traffic to shift July 19
DULUTH, Minn. – MnDOT contractors working on Hwy 61 in Grand Marais will be shifting work zone locations on Monday, July 19. Currently, construction is on the northbound (or lake) side of Hwy 61 between 8th Ave W and 3rd Ave W. Starting Monday, the work will begin on the southbound (or inland) side of Hwy 61. The single lane of northbound Hwy 61 traffic in this area will shift from the inland side of Hwy 61 to the lake side of the road.
Additionally, work is nearing completion between 3rd Ave W and Broadway Ave. On July 21 or 22, that section will reopen to traffic.
For more information about this project, please visit: Hwy 61 reconstruction project
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.