Highway 19 closed, detoured Aug. 30-31 for railroad work in Northfield
NORTHFIELD, Minn. – Hwy 19 from Eaves Avenue to Hwy 3 in Northfield will be closed and detoured Aug. 30-31 as work is done by the Union Pacific Railroad on the railroad tracks, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Eastbound Hwy 19 motorists will follow signs for a detour using the following roads:
- North on Eaves Avenue
- Right on North Avenue
- Left on Eveleth Avenue W
- Right on Rice County Road 96
- Right on Hwy 3
Motorists traveling west will follow the route in reverse.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones