Hwy 14 project: Steele Co. Rd. 16 to re-open Oct. 18, access to SE 64th Avenue south of current highway to close
CLAREMONT, Minn. – Steele County Road 16 west of Claremont will re-open Oct. 18, while access to SE 64th Avenue south of the current highway will close permanently as part of the Hwy 14 expansion project, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Once access to SE 64th Avenue closes south of the current highway, the access route will be from SE 44th Ave (Steele County Road 43) to SE 28th Street, which intersects with SE 64th Avenue.
The opening and closures are part of the Hwy 14 expansion project between Dodge Center and Owatonna.
Weather permitting, the new Hwy 14 route is scheduled to have traffic on it on Nov. 1. Much can change in the final weeks of construction that could affect the opening date. A public celebration is being planned and a date will be announced soon.
- Trucks and buses on Hwy 14 that are required to stop for at-grade railroad crossings should follow detour signs to avoid the rail cross near Steele County Road 180, because no pullover lane is available. Trucks will utilize County Road 180 and Steele County Road 43 in each direction
- The detour will be in place until the new Hwy 14 route opens for traffic
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about the project and sign up for email and text message updates at the MnDOT construction project website or check out all of the MnDOT construction projects in the region at MnDOT’s website.
- Sign up for winter driving advisories in southeast Minnesota