MnDOT lifts no travel advisory on Hwy 87 south of Park Rapids
BEMIDJI, Minn. — (5:00 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation has lifted the road closure on Hwy 87 south of Park Rapids from Hwy 71 to Hwy 64. The highway was under no travel advisory due to dangerous travel conditions from high winds, blowing snow and low visibility.
Remember, it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions after a storm. Motorists should:
- Check road conditions at 511mn.org or call 511.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for their trip.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
Important: even if state and federal highways are passable, travel may still be difficult on county, township and municipal roads. Check with local agencies for their road conditions.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.