Hwy 14 New Ulm to Nicollet expansion project begins March 7 with tree and brush removal work
Detour to start in early April
MANKATO, Minn. – Weather permitting, Highway 14 motorists will encounter crews trimming and removing trees along Highway 14 from New Ulm to Nicollet starting Monday, March 7, as they prepare for the 2022-2023 Highway 14 four-lane expansion project.
The tree removal will have little to no impact on travel. However, motorists are advised to watch for workers and equipment on the shoulders. The tree removal sites are located throughout the project. The work needs to be done early in the year to prevent protected bats from making their homes in the trees.
Full construction on the Hwy 14 New Ulm to Nicollet expansion project is expected to begin in early April 2022, weather permitting, and will require traffic to be detoured.
Hwy 14 project details
Between 2022 and 2023, MnDOT will be reconstructing Hwy 14 from New Ulm to Nicollet to improve safety and travel for this important freight and trade corridor. Overall, the project is expanding 12.5 miles of Hwy 14 from two lanes to four lanes between New Ulm and Nicollet to complete a continuous four-lane road between New Ulm and Rochester.
Improvements will include:
- Converting the existing two-lane highway to a four-lane divided highway
- Bypassing Courtland by realigning Hwy 14 north of the city
- Constructing new interchanges in Courtland and at Co. Rd. 37 in New Ulm
- Constructing safer intersections at New Ulm Quartzite Quarries and Minnesota Valley Lutheran High School
- Adding turn lanes
- Installing snow fence between Courtland and Nicollet to prevent excessive blowing and drifting snow
Hoffman Construction was awarded the project with a bid of $83,539,141.56.
Hwy 14 project detours
Full construction on the Hwy 14 project will require traffic to be detoured from early April 2022 through the fall of 2023. Through traffic will be detoured onto Highways 15, 68 and 169 for the duration of the project. Detour routes and access points for local traffic are expected to change throughout different stages of construction. Detour maps can be found online at mndot.gov/d7/projects/14newulmtonmankato.
Stay connected, informed
- Project information, detour maps, construction updates, and a one-minute video to view the planned improved changes can be found online at mndot.gov/d7/projects/14newulmtonmankato.