Repairs to Hwy 169 bridge near Lookout Drive and Center Street in Mankato/North Mankato begin May 2
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists are advised that the Hwy 169 northbound and southbound off ramps to Lookout Drive and Center Street in Mankato/North Mankato will be closed starting Monday, May 2 as crews make permanent repairs to the Hwy 169 bridge that was hit by a truck last October causing significant damage.
Repairs to the bridge will include the replacement of the bridge deck, beam, and barrier.
Motorists and pedestrians are encouraged to seek alternate routes and to monitor www.511mn.org for travel information. The repairs are expected to be complete by early June, weather permitting.
The Hwy 169 bridge was closed to traffic after it was hit in late October until inspections could be completed. It reopened to motorists in early November with width restrictions, and traffic has been shifted away from the damaged beam with the use of concrete barriers.
S.M. Hentges & Sons, Inc. was awarded the project with a bid of $381,156.35.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times