Overnight lane closures in Moorhead start May 15 for two weeks
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — Starting Sunday, May 15, for two weeks, motorists traveling in the Moorhead area will encounter overnight lane closures on several Minnesota highways.
Crews will be completing maintenance work each night, Sunday through Thursday, between 8 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., weather permitting, during the weeks of May 15 and May 22. The work is occurring during overnight hours to minimize traffic impacts in the Fargo-Moorhead area. Work locations will vary each evening, and motorists can expect to encounter mobile maintenance operations with alternating lane closures in the areas where crews are working.
The work will include patching, crack sealing and striping, as well as bridge flushing, which removes sand and other particles that collect on the bridge joints and abutments. During bridge flushing, crews will also look for deterioration that may have occurred during the winter and make repairs to the road surface.
MnDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution and slow down in work zones where workers are present. All maintenance activities and traffic impacts are weather dependent and subject to change.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times