Detour for Hwy 21 resurfacing project begins Aug. 22
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists traveling Hwy 21 between Hwy 13 and Hwy 99 south of Montgomery can expect a detour beginning Aug. 22, weather permitting, as crews resurface over nine miles of roadway, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Hwy 21 will be closed, and traffic detoured to Hwy 13 and Hwy 99 during construction. The project is expected to be complete in early October, weather permitting.
The project will include resurfacing the roadway, replacing a culvert and box culvert, and adding centerline and shoulder rumble strips
Benefits of the project include smoother road surfaces and increased safety along the corridor.
Minnesota Paving & Materials was awarded the project with a bid of $4,251,046.76.
Visit the project website for more information and to sign up for email updates. Information will also be shared on the MnDOT South Central Minnesota Facebook group and the MnDOT District 7 Twitter account.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Drive the speed limit. It helps create a consistent, more predictable traffic flow for everyone.
- Don’t drive distracted. Drivers need to be alert especially in work zones, which constantly change due to lane shifts, closures and moving workers and vehicles.
- Move over to give workers room to safely complete their work.
- Avoid unnecessary lane changes.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.