Hwy 53 sign replacement to start September 6
DULUTH, Minn. – MnDOT District 1 will be starting a sign replacement project on Hwy 53 on Tuesday, Sept. 6. Work will continue through mid-November and resume in mid-April 2023. Replacement will start south of International Falls and move along Hwy 53 south to Duluth. Motorists should expect shoulder closures where work is occurring. Signs being replaced have reached the end of their useful life.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.