Detour SE of Porter begins Sept. 20 for Hwy 68 Minneota to Marshall project
WILLMAR, Minn. – Construction to replace a culvert southeast of Porter begins Tues., Sept. 20 as part of the Highway 68 Minneota to Marshall project. Highway 68 will be closed from County Road 7 to County Road 19.
Traffic will be detoured from Porter to Taunton on County Road 7 and County Road 19. The detour will be in place two to three weeks (see attached map for South Porter detour highlighted in yellow).
All homes and businesses along the project route will remain accessible during construction. Watch for message boards on Hwy 68, future emails, and social media posts for updated information.
On Sept. 20, prior to placing the southeast detour, the detour northwest of Porter will be removed.
The main detour for Hwy 68 from Minneota to Marshall remains in place for the project duration. Traffic follows Hwy 19 to County Road 5 for Ghent access, and County Road 3 for Minneota access and return to Hwy 68 (see attached map for main detour highlighted in orange).
The project includes shoulder widening and culvert replacements along 11 miles of Hwy 68 from North Grant Street in Minneota to the Redwood River in Marshall. Drainage repairs near Porter are also part of the project.
Hwy 68 is currently 32 feet wide, with 4-foot paved shoulders and 12-foot driving lanes. After construction is complete, Hwy 68 will have wider shoulders between Minneota and Marshall by adding four feet of gravel on each side of the roadway. Project benefits include enhanced safety and repaired drainage. The completion date is to be determined.
Work zone reminders
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- To sign up for project email or text updates visit mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy68minneotatomarshall.