Overnight road closures and no travel advisories in SW MN
WILLMAR, Minn. – (7:00 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation in southwest Minnesota District 8 has announced its overnight listing of road closures and no travel advisories. Blowing and drifting snow have created poor visibility and hazardous travel conditions. Some roads have closed due to the number of stranded vehicles blocking the roadway. Motorists are urged not to travel overnight throughout southwest Minnesota.
Additional road closures or travel advisories are possible as conditions are expected to further deteriorate overnight. The public is urged to consult www.511mn.org before making any travel decisions. Travel conditions will be reevaluated in the morning and updates posted on 511mn.org when conditions improve.
- All state Hwys in Lyon, Murray, and Pipestone counties
- Lincoln County: Hwy 19 and all state highways south of Hwy 19
- Redwood County: Hwy 19 and all highways south; Hwy 71 and all Hwys west
- Yellow Medicine County: all east/west Hwys; Hwy 59 south of Clarkfield
- Lac qui Parle County: all east/west Hwys
- Chippewa County: all east/west Hwys
- Hwy 23 from Jasper to Hwy 71
When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties may apply.
No Travel Advised
No travel is advised on the following state highways overnight and until conditions improve.
- All state highways in Renville County
- Most state highways in Kandiyohi County
- Many state highways in Meeker County
- McLeod County: Hwy 15 and all state highways west of Hwy 15
No Travel Advised means that the roadway has deteriorated and/or visibility has been reduced to the point that it is very dangerous to travel; there are reports of whiteout conditions; and some weather conditions can be severe enough that road treatments are not effective, and conditions can become life-threatening for stranded travelers.