Heartland State Trail, Itasca State Park Extension project begins Aug. 28
Motorists on Hwy 71 will detour utilizing Hubbard County Roads 4 and 40
BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources announced today the construction of the first phase of future extension of the Heartland State Trail between Park Rapids and the Itasca State Park. This project begins on August 28 and is expected to be complete September 23, weather permitting. The tunnel project is under Highway 71 just south of Highway 200 near the Itasca State Park east entrance. Motorists traveling on Highway 71 will detour utilizing Hubbard County Roads 4 and 40.
The south entrance of Itasca State Park will remain open to motorists traveling on Highway 71 from the south. The east entrance of Itasca State Park will remain open to motorists traveling west on Highway 71/200 from Lake George.
Questions regarding the Heartland State Trail and the proposed construction can be directed to David Schotzko, MnDNR Parks and Trails Division, (218) 308-2367 or email@example.com .
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.