Road construction on Highway 59 north of Thief River Falls starts September 25
Motorists will see short-term lane closures and flaggers through mid-October
BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation announced today beginning Sept. 25, motorists on Highway 59 north of Thief River Falls can expect short term delays, lane closures and flagger operations as construction begins. The project includes resurfacing between Thief River Falls and Newfolden.
The contractor for this $2.9 million dollar project is Agassiz Asphalt. This project will create a safer, longer lasting driving surface. It is estimated to be complete by mid-October, weather permitting.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.