Lanes open as first construction season wraps up in east St. Cloud
ST. CLOUD, Minn. —Construction on the Highway 10 and 23 interchange will hit a major half-way milestone late Friday, Nov. 3, 2023, reports the Minnesota Department of Transportation, as all four lanes open to travelers and the first year wraps up in east St. Cloud, Benton County.
In seven months, crews have reconstructed the new westbound Highway 23 road, bridge and adjacent entrances between 25th Avenue SE and Wilson Avenue SE; the eastbound Highway 10 road and adjacent entrances between Benton Drive SE and 15th Avenue SE; and worked on the future Fourth Street SE bridge to span Highway 10, south of the interchange.
Work will continue off-road until temperatures freeze the ground and snow arrives. Here’s what will remain active and signed through the work zone over the 2023–2024 winter season:
- Fourth Street SE – Access will remain closed between the frontage road and Highway 10. Access on the north end of the west frontage road will also be closed to/from Fourth Street SE for bridge construction. Access will be maintained to businesses from Lincoln Avenue or 15th Avenue SE, follow signs.
- Interchange access–The current access closures and detours will remain:
- Eastbound Highway 23 to eastbound Highway 10 ramp closed. Use Lincoln Avenue SE and 15th Avenue SE.
- Eastbound Highway 10 to eastbound Highway 23 loop ramp closed. Use Golden Spike Road and County Road 1.
- Eastbound Highway 10 to westbound Highway 23 ramp closed. Use Highway 15.
- Westbound Highway 23 to eastbound Highway 10 loop ramp closed. Use Lincoln Avenue SE and 15th Avenue SE.
- Westbound Highway 23 to westbound Highway 10 ramp closed. Use County Road 1 and Golden Spike Road.
- Westbound Highway 10 to westbound Highway 23 loop ramp closed. Use 15th Avenue SE and Lincoln Avenue SE.
MnDOT thanks the traveling public for their patience over the 2023 construction season.
Please remember that half of the road surface has been completed. Motorists who travel on westbound Highway 10 and eastbound Highway 23 will continue to encounter a rough ride, especially when freeze/thaw cycles occur. MnDOT will monitor and repair areas when necessary.
In spring 2024, crews will return in full force to construct eastbound Highway 23 and westbound Highway 10, which includes adjacent roads, bridges, accesses, frontage road connections and sidewalks/trails. Highway 10 and Highway 23 will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the 2024 construction season.
When complete in November 2024, the interchange project will provide a smoother road surface, and improve motorist and pedestrian safety and access throughout. This is a long-term, 60-plus year investment in our infrastructure.
For more information, visit the St. Cloud interchange web page at www.mndot.gov/d3/stc.
# # #