Highway 9, from Barnesville to Interstate 94, is expected to be in poor condition by 2022, increasing the resource needs from maintenance. The majority of sidewalk and pedestrian ramps in Barnesville are currently noncompliant and will be repaired or replaced as part of this project.
The project will include resurfacing and ADA improvements to sidewalks and ramps, which will result in a more narrow roadway upon completion in order to meet roadway standards and ADA compliance.
Key project elements
- Resurfacing the east/west section of Highway 9 in Barnesville
- Reconstruction of Highway 9 between Main Avenue and Highway 34
- City utility replacement between Main Avenue and Highway 52
- Construct trail on east side of Highway 9, from Main Avenue to Highway 34 (Funded via TAP)
- Resurfacing of Highway 9 between Highway 34 and I-94
- Turn lanes at CR 55, on west of side Highway 9
- Railroad signal replacement**
** The existing signal at the railroad crossing on Highway 9 near the park is proposed to be replaced prior to the 2023 project if funding is available and an agreement can be executed with the railroad.
- A detour is expected for a portion of the project while city ultities are being replaced. Lane closures are another potential traffic impact.