Virtual Open House
Join us for a virtual open house to learn about the project: hwy61intersectionssafetyproject.com
There will be no formal presentation or discussion during the virtual meeting. Visit the link to learn more and go through the information virtually any time before it closes on Monday, June 15.
About this project
MnDOT has evaluated Hwy 61 to identify improvements to help with safety and traffic flow through the corridor, specifically at the Hwy 61/Hwy 316 intersection in Goodhue County. Through this evaluation MnDOT has made recommendations on:
- Improving intersection safety for all users
- Improving ways to safely get to and from the highway
- Shortening wait times and keeping traffic moving
- Bicycle facilities and connections
- Improved intersection conditions to accommodate future development in the area
After studying these findings, MnDOT identified that a roundabout will be constructed to improve safety by reducing speed at the busy intersection. At the same time, MnDOT will make additional safety improvements and make connections for bicyclists with the addition of a trail that goes around the new intersection and connects to the on-road Mississippi River Trail system.
Benefits of a roundabout
- Significantly reduce the risk of serious and fatal crashes
- Allows motorists to get through the intersection more safely and in less time
- Handle more traffic with less delay than most stop signs or traffic signals
- Slow traffic down to make entering and exiting the area easier for all users
Learn more about roundabouts and how to navigate them.
Over the past few years, MnDOT has been evaluating safety and travel conditions in this area to determine needed safety improvements. Significant safety issues were identified at this intersection, which include:
- A history of serious right-angle crashes. Right-angle crashes, sometimes called “T-bone” crashes, are often more deadly or serious than other crashes. Traditional four-lane divided highway intersections, such as this one, have an increased risk of severe T-bone crashes, especially for drivers attempting to cross all four lanes of traffic or turn left.
- Difficulty getting on/off Hwy 61 during certain times of the day.
- A wide variety of users, with varying needs.