Summary of work from New Ulm to North Mankato
- A preferred route has been selected and the final environmental document is complete.
- Four-lane expansion of 22.5 miles
New Ulm to Courtland to W. Nicollet (in design)
- This segment of about 12.5 miles is currently unscheduled/unfunded.
- A Highway 14 New Ulm to Nicollet Task Force was formed in December 2017 with membership including area business leaders, city and county officials and Minnesota Valley Lutheran School official.
- The task force provided recommendations to MnDOT District 7 in June 2018.
- The expansion of Highway 14 from New Ulm to Nicollet is currently unfunded, however, MnDOT is advancing the design and environmental processes to be prepared for potential funding programs.
New Ulm Gateway (only minor aesthetics and landscaping remain)
Construction crews along with landscapers will return in the spring to complete aesthetic work, but no detours will be needed.
The live web-cam was removed on November 30, but interested parties can see a time-lapse video of the Front Street and Minnesota River Bridge construction here: project web cam .
- Project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes (PDF 3052 KB)
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure (PDF 3052 KB)
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Hwy 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 - Y intersection (PDF 3052 KB)
- Roundabout at the Hwy 14 and Front Street intersection (PDF 3052 KB)
- Reconstruction of Hwy 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street (PDF 944 KB) including city watermain and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Hwy 14 and 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town and construction of a new truck station in Courtland
- New Ulm Task Force made Hwy 14 recommendations to MnDOT - May 18, 2015; adopted Aug. 28, 2015
- Design work funded by Corridors of Commerce
- Broadway signal to Hwy 14/15/CR 21 Y intersection (PDF 2972 KB) in New Ulm began in fall 2017 with majority of work done in 2018-19. Landscaping and aesthetics to be complete in spring of 2020.
W. Nicollet to North Mankato (complete)
- The North Mankato to Nicollet project advanced from 2017-18 to 2015-16 due to Corridors of Commerce funding and included a 2.5 mile bypass of Nicollet. Included grading and paving 6.5 miles of additional two lanes to the north of the existing Hwy 14 and 2.5 miles of four-lane bypass on new alignment south of Nicollet. This section opened to traffic on Nov. 11, 2016.