Gateway New Ulm Project
Construction Update (Nov. 22)
Highway 14/15 MN River bridge work continues into December
Work continues on the Highway 14/15 Minnesota River Bridge in New Ulm with a goal to open the bridge to traffic by the end of the year.
The bridge deck is complete as well as railing on the south side and north side of the traffic lanes. The more time-consuming decorative outside pedestrian railing remains. All of the work requires a plastic enclosure to house and heat the concrete. In addition to forming and pouring more railing for the 564 foot-long bridge, the pedestrian railing includes six pedestals with electrical work for lighting that need to be built independently. Two weeks of cure time is also required before the decorative steel railing (similar to the Front Street Bridge) can be installed.
Highway 14 and 15 travelers heading west into New Ulm are detoured to the 20th Street Bridge.
The new Highway 14/15 interchange opened on August 19 with the exception of the west leg into New Ulm that required a completed Minnesota River crossing.
Construction on the Minnesota River Bridge experienced after lengthy delays in 2018 and 2019. MnDOT and the various contracting partners are working together in order to complete the river bridge. Finishing work will need to take place in the spring. The original completion of the project was intended to be June 2020.
Highway 14 and 15 travelers heading west into New Ulm are detoured to the 20th Street Bridge as they did in 2018 - Detour (PDF 307 KB)
You can watch the construction in New Ulm on this project web cam .
The Hwy 14/15 New Ulm Gateway project began in the December 2017 with preliminary work and the majority of the work in 2018-19. The project includes work on three bridges, 7th St. street scape, and landscaping.
Specifically, the project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes (PDF 3052 KB)
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure (PDF 3052 KB)
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Hwy 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 - Y intersection (PDF 3052 KB)
- Roundabout at the Hwy 14 and Front Street intersection (PDF 3052 KB)
- Reconstruction of Hwy 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street (PDF 944 KB) including city watermain and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Hwy 14 and 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town and construction of a new truck station in Courtland