Contract Amendment Request Forms
University of Minnesota: Process and Form
Other Universities: Form
MnDOT/Maplewood Lab: Process and Form
Contract Amendment Request Instructions
Official contract amendments will be executed upon receipt of a signed letter.
- Time Extension – When the expiration date of the contracts needs to be extended. Please budget time realistically and use this option sparingly. Time extensions affect future funding availability for new projects.
- Total Contract Dollar Amount Change – If the total amount of dollars for the contract is increasing or decreasing an amendment is needed.
- Change of Scope – If the scope of the contract is changing significantly from the original contract an amendment is needed.
An official contract amendment will not be executed; however, an amendment request form must still be completed and returned. This signed amendment request will serve as a "letter to the file."
- Key Personnel Changes – i.e. Principal Investigator
- Date Changes - Due dates/deliverable dates change, but the changes will not affect the expiration date of the contract.
- Lump Sum Contract - If it is a lump sum contract and the breakdown of costs are being adjusted, but the actual lump sum amounts are staying the same.
- Cost Plus/Hourly Rate/Unit Rate Contract - If it is a cost plus/hourly rate/unit rate contract, and there are minor adjustments between labor and expenses, but the bottom line — total contract amount — remains the same.
- Contract amendment requests are due six weeks before the contract expires.
- Use attached template addressed to the MnDOT Research Services & Library finance and contract manager, with a copy to the project coordinator (PC) and technical liaison (TL)
- The letter must be signed by authorized designee from the university, consultant, or materials lab.
- If the request is approved, MnDOT will generate an amendment to the work order contract in cases 1-3. In cases 4-7 above, MnDOT will return a signed/approved copy of the amendment request – designated as a "letter to the file."