Hwy 59 south of Thief River Falls enters third and final stage of construction
BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation announced today the Hwy 59 project south of Thief River Falls is near completion. Crews will begin Stage 3 activities beginning on July 24. This stage includes removal of the bypass lane at Pennington County Road 3, and begin construction of the east leg of the roundabout. The roundabout will be open at the north, south and west legs. This stage also includes a complete resurfacing of the rest of the corridor from Pennington County Road 53 to Thief River Falls.
Motorists can expect a detour beginning July 24 for eastbound traffic on Pennington County Road 3. The project includes replacing culverts, resurfacing Hwy 59 as well as constructing a roundabout at Pennington County Road 3. The project is on schedule to be complete mid-August, weather permitting.
The contractor for this $8.6 million dollar project is RJ Zavoral and Sons. This project will create a safer, longer lasting driving surface, improve drainage and a safer intersection. Visit the project website below for more information, detour maps and sign up for email updates. www.mndot.gov/d2/projects/hwy59-s-trf
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
For a complete list of projects for 2023, please visit https://www.mndot.gov/d2.