Traveling in the southwest
Traffic and roads
- 2017 construction project map
- 2018 construction projects
- Completed projects
- Future projects
- D8 Area Capital Highway Investment Plan (CHIP) (2017-2026)
- Navigate Minnesota with 511
- Truck permits
District 8 road conditions
- District 8 would like to remind motorists that the average snow plow route is 60 miles, round-trip. Some routes are considerably longer. In difficult conditions it can take up to four hours for a snow plow operator to plow a route. In good conditions it can take 2 1/2 hours to plow a route. In general, plows are out from 3 am to 10 pm, longer if conditions require it.
- During or after a snowfall, vehicle tires pack down snow on the road. If the temps are below freezing, the compacted snow freezes and forms a layer of ice. As more snow falls, the cycle continues and the layer of ice thickens. Trucks continue to plow, but the blade is less effective on compacted snow.
- To access plow cameras go to 511 and click on plow cameras on the left menu. A window will open to show photos and a map where the plow is. Please note that not all snow plows have cameras.
- To access the Road Weather Information System go to 511 and click on cameras on the left menu. A window will open to show photos and current weather and road conditions.
- Visit 511 for traffic and travel information.
District 8 news & public meetings
- Results of the 90-day pedestrian flashing beacon test in Litchfield are now available. Visit the project webpage to read the summary and learn more about the project.
- The final report of the Hwy 23 New London Safety Assessment is complete. Visit the project webpage to read the report and learn more about the safety assessment.
- The Findings of Fact and Conclusions for the North Gap (Hwy 23 from Paynesville to Richmond) is complete. There is no funding for construction at this time. For more information visit the project webpage.