This webpage is not updated over the weekend/overnight. For up-to-date information on traffic impacts, visit 511mn.org.
All traffic impacts are tentative and weather dependent. The Knox Ave. Park and Ride lot is permanently closed.
Information about upcoming traffic impacts will be posted as details become available. Motorists can expect several weekend, nighttime, and directional closures along I-494 and I-35W. Ramps and loops will be closed at various times for construction. There will also be some lane and road closures on local roadways near I-494.
About this project
We are constructing E-ZPass lanes on I-494 from Hwy 100 to I-35W in each direction and adding a new ramp at the I-35W and I-494 interchange. We are also replacing the bridges crossing over I-494 at Portland Ave., Nicollet Ave., and 12th Ave., and adding a new pedestrian bridge at Chicago Ave. that crosses over I-494 to provide an additional pedestrian and bicycle connection across I-494.
When work is completed, the E-ZPass lanes and the new ramp at the I-35W and I-494 interchange will address congestion on the interstate. The new bridges at Portland, Nicollet, and 12th Ave. will accommodate future traffic levels, provide wider, accessible sidewalks, new bike lanes, and upgrades to some transit stations. We will be removing access to I-494 from Nicollet Ave. and 12th Ave., but will provide full access to I-494 from Portland Ave.
This is the first of four construction projects that are part of the I-494: Airport to Hwy 169 vision.
Summary of work
- Add EZ-Pass lane on I-494 in both directions from Hwy 100 to I-35W
- Modify interchanges along I-494 at Penn Ave., I-35W, Nicollet Ave., Portland Ave., and 12th Ave. and at I-35W/82nd St.
- Reconstruct and repair pavement on I-494 and local roads
- Reconfigure I-35W/I-494 interchange
- Replace bridges at Nicollet Ave., Portland Ave., 12th Ave., and I-494 over I-35W
- Repair bridges at France Ave. and Penn Ave.
- Construct new pedestrian bridge near Chicago Ave. over I-494
- Construct noise and retaining walls
- Relocate or adjust multiple public and private utilities
- Connect walking path and concrete bike path along Portland Ave.
- Replace lighting, signage, and dynamic message boards
- Improve ramps, sidewalks, and signals at multiple intersections