National partnership to determine the life extending benefit curves of pavement preservation techniques
The Minnesota DOT Road Research Project (MnROAD) and National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT) have formed a partnership to evaluate Pavement Preservation treatments. The objective of the Preservation Group (PG) experiment is to quantify the life-extending benefits of pavement preservation on both low- and high-volume roadways. Over twenty agencies are supporting this pooled fund study along with Foundation of Pavement Preservation PF2 and FHWA though national pooled fund TPF-5(375). In 2019, cold recycle sections were constructed near MnROAD to compliment the suite of cold recycling sections on US 280 in Opelika, Alabama.
History and test sections
Test sections for both the southern and northern test sections were built by one contractor, same treatments, and similar designs with locally found materials. Test sections were built outside of the MnROAD and NCAT test tracks. Great care was taken to reduce variables.
- 2012: Lee Road 159 (southern low volume road – Lee County, Alabama)
- 2015: US-280 (southern high volume road – Lee County, Alabama)
- 2016: US-169 (northern high volume road) and County State Aid Highway-8 (northern low volume road) both located in Mille Lacs County, Minnesota
- US-169 and CSAH-8 Test Section Layout (pdf)
- US-169 and CSAH-8 Google Earth Viewer (kmz)
- US-169 and CSAH-8 Construction Applications (pdf)
- 2019: 70th Street Cold Recycle (Cities of Albertville/Otsego, Minnesota)
Both MnDOT and NCAT staff are collecting data in similar ways to allow for similar analysis of data. Collection of performance data are using automated and manual method. The following testing schedule is being followed along with the collection of weather data. MnDOT is looking into ways to test in the winter also as we learn more about the equipment limitations. See spreadsheet (xls) (updated 4/22/2020).
- Manual Distress Survey Maps (2016-Present)
- Nov 2016 Test Section Picture History (pdf)
- Sept 2017 Pavement Preservation Research, Low Volume Road Experiment (pdf)
- 2017 Preservation US 169, High Volume 2017 (pdf)
- March 27, 2020: Spring review of Sections and Photos (pdf)
Reporting and resources
- Foundation of Pavement Preservation Journal Articles
- NCAT Listing of Reports, Journals, & Conference Papers
- MnDOT Listing of Reports, Journals, & Conference Papers
- Study Data
Pooled fund studies details
NCAT (Alabama DOT) lead the first pooled fund and then MnDOT is now leading the current pooled fund for this project. NCAT is currently contracted by MnDOT to work on the second phase of this study. MnDOT is also using pooled funds to assist in the management and data collection being done for the northern test sections. Details of the efforts, along with quarterly reports, can be found at the pooledfund.org websites or use the links below.
- TPF-5(267): 2015-2018: Accelerated Performance Testing for the NCAT Pavement Test Track
- TPF-5(375): January 1, 2019 till December 30, 2023: National Partnership to Determine the Life Extending Benefit Curves of Pavement Preservation Techniques (MnROAD/NCAT Joint Study – Phase II)
- Jerry Geib, P.E., email@example.com
- Eddie Johnson, P.E., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Nolan, email@example.com