Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Research & Innovation

Research Funding

documents on a table

Research Funding

Get Research Assistance

Have a research idea or information need? The following funding programs are available to Minnesota state and/or local agency transportation practitioners.

For more information on any of these programs, contact the Office of Research & Innovation at research.dot@state.mn.us or 651-366-3780

Academic Research Solicitation

Each year, MnDOT and the Local Road Research Board (LRRB) fund academic research proposals that respond to the needs of Minnesota city, county and state transportation practitioners. Ideas are solicited from practitioners in the fall and spring. A request for proposal (RFP) is issued in late summer to qualified universities and the MnDOT Office of Materials and Road Research. Funding decisions occur in December.

Research Implementation

Research implementation projects save time, money or resources by helping put new ideas and technology into practice. They might solve a long-time problem or improve how the agency does business. The MnDOT Research Implementation Program offers the opportunity to test new equipment or technology, or continue research that can set the stage for future full development. MnDOT employees may submit a research implementation project idea at any time. City/county employees should contact the LRRB about funding opportunities.

Multistate Pooled Fund Research

MnDOT staff can request federal State Planning and Research (SP&R) funds to initiate or participate in a transportation pooled fund project with other states. Requests are reviewed by the MnDOT Research Steering Committee on a quarterly basis (March, June, September, and December).

Transportation Research Synthesis

A Transportation Research Synthesis (TRS) is a short-turnaround research report that addresses a specific research topic. It includes a summary of completed and in-progress research, and also reports about the state of practice among departments of transportation (DOTs). A TRS may be requested by MnDOT, city or county employees.