Elk River freeway
Redesign and reconstruct three miles of Highway 169 to a new freeway system through Elk River between Highway 101/10 and 197th Avenue, Sherburne County. Construction is scheduled to begin in fall 2022. Sign-up for project email updates.
Summary of work
Convert to a freeway
- Reconstruct all four-lanes of Highway 169 and adjacent road connections
- Construct four new interchanges:
- Highway 169 bridge over Main Street
- School Street/Elk Hills Drive bridge over Highway 169
- Jackson Avenue/193rd Avenue bridge over Highway 169
- Highway 169 bridge over 197th Avenue
- Improve pedestrian accessibility along city streets
- Upgrade underground infrastructure and utilities
- Improve access at the Highway 169/Highway 101/Highway 10 interchange
- Replace the northbound Highway 169/Highway 101 bridge over Highway 10
Looking ahead to early 2020
The ‘169 Redefine’ project is in partnership with MnDOT, the City of Elk River and Sherburne County. In early 2020, a construction management contractor and final design team will be hired to work together to determine the best, most cost-effective plans for executing the three-year construction project that will begin by fall 2022.
For more project resources and to view the preliminary layout, visit the documents page.
All information is subject to change.