Paid Parental Leave
MnDOT Policy #WF024
Effective: October 28, 2020
View/print signed policy (PDF)
Please go to the MnDOT Org Chart to find specific contact information: Org Chart.
Responsible Senior Officer: Deputy Commissioner/Chief Administrative Officer
Policy Owner: Director, Office of Human Resources
Policy Contact: Labor Relations Manager, Office of Human Resources
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) fully adopts the enterprise policy, Paid Parental Leave, HR/LR #1435.
Reason for policy
Minnesota Management and Budget’s (MMB) Statewide Operating Policy requires each agency to adopt the enterprise policy, provide paid parental leave to eligible employees, and coordinate leave with other paid and unpaid leave entitlements under federal and state law, state policies, and bargaining agreements.
MMB ensures that the enterprise policy is accurate, updated, and that relevant interpretations of the law are considered.
All MnDOT employees must comply with MnDOT policies.
Key stakeholders with responsibilities under this policy include:
- Employees Eligible for Paid Parental Leave
- Office of Human Resources
Employees Eligible for Paid Parental Leave (PPL)
- Provide reasonable notice to the Office of Human Resources in advance of taking PPL.
Office of Human Resources
- Coordinate PPL with other paid and unpaid leave entitlements under federal and state law, state policies, and collective bargaining agreements and plans.
Policy Owner (Director, Office of Human Resources)
- Review the policy every two years, or whenever MMB changes the enterprise policy, to ensure the policy remains up-to-date.
- Monitor state, federal, enterprise, agency, or other requirements that apply to the policy or procedures.
- Ensure the policy and procedures remain compliant with all state, federal, enterprise, agency, or other
requirements and that necessary approvals by state or federal agencies are obtained before changes to
the policy or procedures are implemented.
- Work with the Policy Coordinator to revise the policy and/or confirm its accuracy.
- Communicate policy revisions, reviews, and retirements to stakeholders.
- Statewide Policy, Paid Parental Leave, HR/LR #1435 (pdf)
- General Memo 2016-1, Paid Parental Leave: Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
- State Parenting Leave Statute - §181.941
- Family Medical Leave Policy
- Collective Bargaining Agreements and Plans
- MnDOT’s Policy Website
History and updates
October 28, 2020
- September 2, 2022 - changed term "statewide" to "enterprise" and updated Policy Owner responsibilities to match revised policy template.
This policy's next scheduled review is due October 2024.